Fuel Filter Changing

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BradyQ, Apr 8, 2005.

Newest Photos

1. BradyQ

BradyQ New Member

Hey everyone, it's me again:

I've been getting some rough starts and I was told to check the fuel filter on my 97 tahoe. They said it was in the back on the railing somewhere.

Is there a standard procedure to do this? Do I need to buy any tools and if I need to drain the fuel somehow...also, do i need to change any rings, seals, etc...while this is being done? Thanks.
  2. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

Very easy to do. It is located in the frame rail slightly behind the drivers door. Loosen the fuel lines to each end then un-bolt the plastic frame it is in and remove the whole assembly form the truck Slide the old filter out of the plastic, and slide the new one in and re-install. **MAKE SURE THE ARROW ON THE FILTER IS POINTING TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Good advice. I was caught on that on an old 350 fuel filter. Couldn't understand what was happening why it wouldn't start. :)
  4. 99TahoeNut

99TahoeNut New Member

I've never made that kind of mistake. :)
  5. rbruce

rbruce New Member

This may also be a symptom of a failing fuel pump. Much more of a hassle and cost, as you can read in some of the other sections. Beware, it lulls you into thinking it is just a rough start, then, boom, won't start at all.

There are some test for the fuel pump listed in my service manual, but you'll have to bear with me till Monday when I have a chance to get to it and post the proceedures.
  6. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

Problem with the fuel pump is, there is no "aftermarket" yet. Got to drop the tank down and replace the whole unit. Another problem with the fuel pump is the gas guage will register wrong readings. Again, you have to replace the whole unit.
  7. grantahoe

grantahoe New Member

flared wrenches will to the trick its location is under the rear drivers side rail just leave the truck off you will have some spillage