1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Filter?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Jul 24, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, I just went to the local AutoZone and bought everything I need to change my oil. I was going to swap out my fuel filter while I was at it, but when I tried to look up which one I needed, it said "NS = Not Serviceable". What exactly does that mean? Is it down in the gas tank or something? I thought most were in-line, mounted on the frame rail. Anybody know where it is on my truck? I haven't gone out there and looked...I'm taking the lazy approach first :glasses:
  2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If it's anything like my dad's 05 Yukon XL, there isn't an external filter. The filter is part of the pump in the tank that is not removable.
  3. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

EDIT - removed foot.

There are also some recalls on some of the FRAM replacement fuel filters see http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/gmc/yukon/recalls/index.html. Maybe this is the reason for the NS.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I crawled under there today, and this is what I saw next to the gas tank:

[​IMG]

Close up of smaller "canister" in upper right of previous pic
    [​IMG]

The gas tank is next to all of that on the left, and all of the fuel lines run in and out of that stuff. What is that? Maybe that thing filters the fuel? Never looked at it before, so I'm clueless.
  5. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

Let me stick my foot in my mouth.

Half the stuff I looked up said GM got rid of the external fuel filters as of 2004. I would've argued till heck froze over. But I think GaryL is right. I just can't beleive GM would nix the external fuel filter. When all else fails, go to Autozone and play dumb. It works for me.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

O'reilly's actually sold me a filter that was supposed to fit the 05. When I went looking for it to replace it I couldn't find it. I called a friend of mine that works the parts counter at a local Chevy dealership and he told me there is no external filter. My 99 was ready for a new filter, so I put the one O'reilly's sold me on the 99 when I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks back.