1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by waynebrv, Jul 10, 2010.

1. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

Yesterday, I bought a 1991 Topkick with 40,800 miles. 3116 & 5 Speed. Clean.
    Dual tanks.

Here is the problem.

Fuel filter under the left fender/step area.

I checked the Baldwin site, and it lists the air, fuel, and oil filters, but the fuel filter matches the filter on the engine. Both are similar size. I can't read anything off that filter under the fender. I am flying blind. Is this filter under the fender/step area the same PN as the filter mounted on the driver side of the engine?

Wayne

2. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

OK, I get it, Don't expect and answer

After four days, it appears I will not get an answer for this question.:sign0144:
    Am I doing something different than other Topkick owners, planning to change my own fuel filters? :shocked:
    Sorry, I will figure it out, I cannot afford to have someone change a filter for me.:money:
    I can find parts for anything when I try. So much for the EZ forum answer.

What kind of answer will I attain from this forum, if filters are on the hard list?:rules:

Wayne

3. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

I found all the Filters

Baldwin has all the filters for a topkick with a 3116 Cat.

Changed. Runs great.

Wayne

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey wayne do you have any pics? I've always wanted to build a topkick and put a 3500 truck bed on it. Make it look like a kodiak haha. How do you like the cat engine as well?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Ha Ha I don't know either. I never heard of a "Topkick". Maybe it's when that brown headed dog in your avatar kicks the squirrels ass for drinking his beer..

6. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

Kodiak

I can make you an awesome deal on this dually bed. I am pulling it to install a CM SK hauler bed.
    As for the CAT 3116. Runs perfect. Pulls good. Down side is it is limited to 68-71 on top end. Pulled over a 850 mile tank to Memphis TN @ 14.33 MPG empty and returned with a trailer @ 12.77 MPG. Dual tank setup lets me pull all day, for as long as I can drive, without filling up. Recently pulled 7 cord of firewood on cruise. Which is pulling out the throttle knob and the CAT speed is constant. Think a 6 - 7 or 9 speed will solve my speed problems.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thats pretty dang if I say so myself! I can't believe you get better mileage than my 2500! Well if I decide to build one I'll know where to get a bed!

8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Nice outfit. If you need a filter answer check with the WIx filter company and they can usually outperform all other filter companies. There are OEm on Freightliner under the Alliance branding.

Kind of new to this Club and just recently started looking at Medium duty forums. Wish I could have been here earlier to help out . I do understand your frustrations with getting quick answers. I was able to solve many customers issues on filters with the help of Wix Filter company. Majority of Nascar drivers won't run anything but Wix due to dependability .

9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I know this is a little off topic.... but a truck that size getting 12-14 MPG I am averaging 14.5 in my 1500 with the comparatively speaking tiny 5.3L vortec....... how are large ( that is a medium/heavy duty ) trucks getting MPG that high, I should be getting at least 25-30mpg out of the 5.3 then..... and I did look at a 4500/5500 topkick or Kodiack a long time ago....

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Thats a good question for Gm, NAK. One reason is diesel over gas. But My 86 burb got better than my current 2010 Silverado, by 5 mpg. Burb had a rochester 4 bbl and I assure you my foot has gotten lighter than it was then.