Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by waynebrv, Jul 10, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyHD

ChevyHD New Member 100 Posts

Like coach said, its because its a diesel. Its not uncommon for Duramaxs to see 20+ miles to the gallon highway driving and 16+ in the city. If you had had GM's 4.5L diesel in your truck, without the emissions equipment, 30 miles to the gallon would be easy to get. Its due to the high compression ratios in diesel.
  2. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

I have a 1993 Chevy 4x4 SRW 1T, 5sp NV-4500, the original 6.5 was pulled at 100K and 5.9 Cummins Commercial engine installed. While it will pull as much as my Topkick, it gets 2-5 MPG better loaded and 4-6 better unloaded. Pulls great, by cannot stop the heavy loads like the Topkick, and cannot match the turning radius. However, the ride is awesome in comparison. Most all my lighter loads are moved with it.

Mileage is only one aspect of a truck. A medium duty truck brakes overwhelm a pickup in comparison.
    Wayne
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wayne if you increase your brake size and add a jake engine brake you will find better stopping results. Compare the topkick brake size to yours and you may see a significant difference for stopping distance. Check with Haldex they have new disc brakes for Clss 8 and below
  4. waynebrv

waynebrv New Member

Then I compared everything else

Like frame rails, clutch, transmission, and driveline size. Tire ratings LR-G on Topkick vs E on Pickup. Sure I could put bigger brakes on my pickup....
    NOT :great: