1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel gauge acting weird

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by msvx95, Nov 12, 2011.

1. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

My 2001 silverado has just been experiencing a fuel gauge problem such as this.
    I filled up a full tank of gas...the fuel gauge read full, no problems. The next day I was sitting at a light and immediately the gauge dropped to empty and low fuel light came on...seconds later it jumped back to full and the light went off. The truck remained running and responsive the whole time, but is this a sign of a failing sensor? It has happened 3 times so far recently.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Matt.....from what you have mentioned....I would say its going to be one of two items causing your Fuel Gauge to do what it is doing, either the Sending unit for the Fuel Gauge is going out/bad or the Stepper motor for the Fuel gauge is going out/bad......I would lean toward it being the Sending unit for the Fuel Gauge being the problem.
  3. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Mike, is this sending unit easy to replace or does the gas tank have to be dropped and more of a job for a mechanic?
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Matt.....to add to what I've mentioned above and that is to check wiring connections, just to be sure nothing has come loose.......the Fuel tank will need to be dropped to some degree.......I've heard some say that you can dropped just part of the tank in order to get to the items in the fuel tank............below is the Fuel Pump assembly......and number's #7 and #8 are the Sending Unit parts.

[​IMG]

5. tswiczko

tswiczko New Member

I replaced my fuel pump and sending unit and in less than a year this was happening again.

Try some seafoam with every tank of fuel and see if it helps, it did mine