Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuel gauge [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ben_mtl, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_mtl

ben_mtl New Member

Hi all,

I've got a problerm with the fuel gaugue on my 90' 6.2 diesel Suburban.
    The last 3 days the gauge was shaking all the time so it was really hard to know what was the status of the tank (except by looking at the odometer but the fuel consumption is not really linear with the distance ran... especially when my roommate borrows the truck :? )
    Anyway, today I filled the tank and went skiing, I drove about 200km and the gauge didn't moved at all, it stayed on "full" position. So here are 2 solutions : my gaz consumption is really really low (dreaming is good) or the fuel gauge is stuck (I think I'll go with this option).
    What do I have to do ? Can it be only a problem with the dashboard gauge or is it possible to have some troubles also with the sensor in the gaz tank ? What can I check to know where the problem comes from ?

Thanks a lot,

Benoit
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

RE: fuel gauge

Most likely the tank sensor.
  3. monabaker

monabaker New Member

What do you think the cost of the tank sensor is? What about how many hours of labor?
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Price depends on if the sensor and pump are one unit, or the sending unit can be replaced individually.
    Autozone is showing the sending unit as $119.99 special order item. Not sure if it includes the pump too.

Probably only take about two hours if you work alone. Assuming you've never done this before.

Just make sure to drain the tank, and make your life a little easier. :)
  5. ben_mtl

ben_mtl New Member

Are you sure about the sending unit in the tank ??? It's a Diesel so I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is not in the tank but under the hood...
    Can the sensor just be stuck so I need to remove and clean it ?
  6. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

No I'm not sure, the only way to be sure is to get in the dash . And check the resistance going to the gauge, and I’m not sure just what the reading should be.

You need to get the manual for what the fuel sender resistance should be at certain levels. My manual is in the garage right now.

But of the 2 units, sender vs. gauge my money is on the sender.
  7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Re: RE: fuel gauge

Yes it is in the tank. You can buy it from RockAuto Don't bother trying to fix the old sender. If you are going to all the trouble to remove it, install a new one.
    [​IMG]
  8. ben_mtl

ben_mtl New Member

RE: Re: RE: fuel gauge

OK I'll go for it !
    Thanks for your advices.
  9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

RE: Re: RE: fuel gauge

Keep us posted!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.