1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

fuel gauge "flutters"

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by wingnut0302, Sep 3, 2007.

1. wingnut0302

wingnut0302 New Member

I recently bought a 99 yukon. I absolutly love the truck but the fuel guage "flutters" very rapidly . It will make you go dizzy if you stare at it long enough.Has anyone had this problem and have any idea for repair? Thanks In Advance!

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome Wingnut. (Thats nice, I just met you and already called you a wingnut LOL) We had a discussion about this once before for this year vehicle (Any 99 GM Truck) That it appears the gas tank sending unit has a bad ground or sending unit itself is bad. Either way the tank must come down...Bummer, I know. Good luck anyway.

3. wingnut0302

wingnut0302 New Member

Well I guess Im gonna stare at the guage until either the pump or sending unit goes.

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 99 Savanna does it, you'll get used to it. As long as your not a visual epileptic, your laughin'. It is a b***h to get tank down.
    Mines done it for a few years now.

5. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 New Member

1999 yukon does it too, how do you know if the gas is accurate or not, . do i need to change it .

6. pcasberg

pcasberg New Member

The problem you are having is in the ipc. Instument panel cluster There is a buffer that has gone bad, the only way to solve this problem is to get a new cluster. Be warned not all clusters are the same some have internal buffers some don't. I recently had this problem and had six different clusters in the vehicle before I received the original cluster back from being refurbished before the problem was fixed. I am absolutly certain about this. The buffer is the only thing that will cause this problem. Not the sending unit, nothing else. In some years the buffer was not in the ipc but in line somewhere, I have looked at wiring diagrams and have never found this buffer, this was a very irritating and time consuming problem for me about one week ago.

7. pcasberg

pcasberg New Member

gauge flutter

The instrument panel cluster is the culprit, there is a buffer which has gone bad inside the cluster. You need a new cluster. The buffer is the only thing that can cause this problem. Not a sending unit! The buffer does not show up on a wiring diagram. I am a gm mechanic and I spent a week on one of these things, I went through five clusters, which did not fix the problem, then the original cluster which had been sent in to get refurbished was sent back to me and it finally worked.

8. wigwag78

wigwag78 New Member

I have the same problem in my 99 Tahoe. My question now is how do you tell the difference in the clusters.:no:

9. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

man talk about resurecting an old thread!:lol:

What do you mean tell the diffrence?

10. wigwag78

wigwag78 New Member

It says that the clusters are different and that some have the buffer built in and some don't, just wondering how you know the difference. Got to bring back the old threads to get up to date on chevy kowledge.