1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel gauge gone crazy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by red1984chevy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. red1984chevy

red1984chevy New Member

Hello this is my first time useing this site, I have a 1984 Chevy silverado 4x4, it used to have a diesel but now has a 454 I bought it like that, recently my fuel gauge started wigging out, the needle goes to empty then will creep all the way past full to the horizontal position, then jump around a few times and then back to the horizontal position, I have two tanks and it does it switched on either tank, what do I have to replace. Thanks for any help
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like a ground issue.. Im not super familiar with the older chassis...
  3. T-bone

T-bone New Member

have your alternator tested. I am in the process of replacing mine in my suburban and I had the same symptoms about a month before it failed. Another fellow here reported a similar finding.

Good luck and do it now before you get stuck somewhere
  4. red1984chevy

red1984chevy New Member

Thanks I would of never guessed the alternator, I will have it checked out.
  5. red1984chevy

red1984chevy New Member

Thanks

Thanks I will check the ground, I was thinking relay or something, hope its only the ground, I will be happy replaceing the alternator as long as I can see how much gas I have left at the end of the day, its a beast. Thanks again
  6. T-bone

T-bone New Member

Well I just checked my alternator and it was fine so my suggestion may not be right. Someone did say they had that problem and it was an alternator.

What was bad in my car was the battery. might want to check that out and see if its on its last legs.

my dashboard issues came up about 3 weeks from battery death.

good luck
  7. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I can confirm that an alternator on its way out can cause the gauges to go wonky. Before the alternator died all the gauges did goofy things intermittently. If only gas gauge is acting up, I'd concentrate on a wiring issue. Hard to suspect that both fuel senders would crap out at the same time.

Let us know what you find.
  8. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 New Member

I agree with him, you have a fuel sensor in your tanks that send an electronic signal to the gauge, my is kinda goofy too, but still very readable, but unlikily for them to go out in both tanks at the same time, and act the exact same way, I say check wiring, and your switch, and grounds... good luck
  9. thrasher

thrasher New Member

my truck (an '01 Silverado HD) does the same thing. It showed up about 8 months after I got my truck back after an accident, and it's done this ever since. Mostly when the tank is full, the gauge will go from full to empty & everywhere in between.
  10. T-bone

T-bone New Member

So am I correct that now 4 of us are reporting this problem? Lets make an official list and any solutions

1) T-bone 2001 suburban: crazy gas gauge. Not observed since battery replacement (less then a week)