1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuel gauge issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by chevyboy204, May 23, 2014.

1. chevyboy204

chevyboy204 New Member

I just bought this 98 jimmy and previous owner had the fuel pump replaced at a gm dealer cost almost $1000 now the truck sat all winter now that i have it the gas gauge is jumping slightly from 3/4 to full.... my first geuss would be the float but how when its new.... could it be the cluster ?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Actually nothing is broken GM gas gauges in the 90's truck we about as accurate as a Storm Trooper. Because it is a float based system as you drive and brake the gas in the take moves which makes the float move as well. In my Tahoe when I have a little more than 1/4 of a tank I see the gauge range from 1/2 to empty depending on if I'm on a hill, braking, or accelerating. The only time its really on spot is when on a level surface not moving. Over time you get used to it and learn how to estimate the actual amount of fuel you have left.
  3. chevyboy204

chevyboy204 New Member

Hey thanks for info, but it does it just running in my garage i had a 2000 blazer and it never did it
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If its doing it while not moving it may be the gauge stepper motor, but in saying that I personally know very little about them. [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION] or another member may be more informed about gauge cluster issues. Also :sign0016: to the GMTC!!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

usually when the stepper motor i the gauge is bad it will fluctuate all over the place not just in a small range like between 3/4-full. it may bury itself passed full, or bounce from empty to full or just stay in one spot. I would suspect the sender at the fuel pump. It could be a simple wiring issue. Check your ground for the pump
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  6. chevyboy204

chevyboy204 New Member

Alright il check that out thanks guys