1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fuel gauge needle

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Treadnmud, Feb 5, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Treadnmud

Treadnmud New Member

On my 99 Suburban, the fuel gauge needle appears to be vibrating and shakes rapidly back and forth about a needle's width or so. Some say it is most likely the sending unit. Comments?

2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Mine does it too. These gauge clusters fail after a while. Cheap DIY (but PITA) fix.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its the gauge cluster i replaced mine a few years ago (at a $300 cost) and mine is doing it again. So what its the cheap DIY fix please?

4. Mysuburban99

Mysuburban99 New Member

Mine was doing the same thing replaced fuel pump and sending unit. Stopped it from jumping up and down.

5. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Mine has done it since I got the truck last fall. I would have to guess there is a resistor on the sending unit that must fail.

6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Mine too. The voltmeter bounces with the turn signals, too. If I remember right, it's the servo motors on the back of the cluster that go bad - I think there is a post on the site about where/how to replace them, but I won't have time to look until sometime tomorrow.

Good luck to us all...

7. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The stepper motors on the back of the clusters go bad. My gas gauge stopped working completely last year, so I sent my cluster to some guy in Minnesota (through ebay) and for $60, he replaced all of the stepper motors, all of the cluster bulbs and updated the cluster with the newest software. Plus it came with a lifetime warranty, pretty good deal IMO.

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

With the 95-99 suburbans usually it is the sending unit that goes out as the ground gets corroded in the tank. The stepper motors do fail in those years but usually it is the sending unit. to be honest if it doesnt bother you let it go till it isnt reading correctly since it requires that you drop the tank.

9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In mine and other friends it has never been the sensing unit its always been the cluster/stepper motors that fail. [MENTION=33745]TELORVEHC[/MENTION] I suppose you still dont have an address or contact info for the guy in MN that you had replace the motors?

10. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

This is the ebay seller that repaired my cluster---->http://stores.ebay.com/digitalspeedometerrepairservice and the address is 123 W. Sarnia Street, Winona, MN 55987.