1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fuel gauge not working - also have air dam question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jonezee, Sep 26, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Jonezee

Jonezee New Member

Hey guys, I'm new here as you can tell.
    I have a 1988 Chevrolet C1500. A little more info on it is in the signature.
    Loving the forum so far!

I lived in Maryland up until the end of August and then moved to Virginia.

I have a few questions.

The fuel gauge on my truck is acting up...105,000 miles on it now. (Stuck on 1/4 tank and I know there is about a half tank in it) it got like this a week or so later after I got the truck running for the first time in 5 years (it was originally my grandfather's truck). I still have to go back and pick the truck up from Maryland and I'm thinking I may just have to take a couple gas cans with me and fix this when I get back home.

The second question.
    Some of the C/K's came with a front air dam below the bumper. Are there any longer aftermarket ones I could buy?

Thanks for reading!

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum and changed your title to match your topic, as this will help in getting more responses/opinions.

3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Not for certain on your air dam question (but I'm sure someone else with field that one for you), but as far as the fuel gauge goes...

If I'm not mistaken, back then most vehicles used a simple float system, and if the vehicle sat for a while, there's a good chance that the fuel turned on you and gummed it up. This was the case in several of my older 240s that i bought and resurrected from empty fields. What i have always done was drop the tank, pull the assembly out and give it a good cleaning with some Berryman's B12 and a wire brush. They usually worked properly after this.

Again, I could be wrong... but it's a start!

Welcome to the club!!