Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Gauge vs Tank Capacity - 2002 K1500 5.3L

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mikehd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mikehd

mikehd New Member

Just bought this from a private party and ran my first Full to Low Fuel warning tank of fuel. Fill up was 26 gallons. Spec capacity says 31 gallons. I would have thought that the Low Fuel warning would have gone off at 28-29 gallons. Is this what other owners have experienced? If typical I now know that I have a 100 miles range left on Low Fuel when running lightly loaded mostly highway miles.

For the record, I got 460.7 miles on that 26.2 gallons for an average fuel economy of 17.6 MPG. This was mostly highway, some city driving, unloaded (except for kids, dog). I'm happy with the MPG as our old '93 5.7L Suburban K1500 would get 13-14 MPG in the same conditions (fully tuned up, correct tire pressure, etc).

thanks...

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

refer to Here for my opinion on your problem. This MAY be your problem, it may not. You got a very nice MPG on that tank regardless...

3. mikehd

mikehd New Member

Thanks for the reply. I read thru the thread you linked to, and I'll watch the next tank and use a different station. The only observation I can add is that when the Low Fuel warning came on, the needle was on the Empty line, and when filled (topped off to the next click of the pump) it is just a needle's width past the Full mark.

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I can't give you advice on your particular question, but I can give you advise on running the tank down that far. If your just running a test for mileage purposes thats fine but I wouldn't make it a habit of running it down there. The sediment in tank (I know its a 2002) if there is any, will get caught up in filter. Coming from a guy who was at the side of the road once for that particular problem.

5. mikehd

mikehd New Member

Yeah, that's a problem but in this case E = 6 gallons remaining! If it were E = 2 gallons, maybe. Six gallons is nearly 20% of the entire tank capacity. I've also aware of the problem for certain vehicles with intank fuel pumps over heating and wearing out early due to loss of fluid for cooling them. I don't know if these vehicles are susceptible to this issue.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes your right I forgot about the cooling of pump thing too. I usually don't let mine go to far below 1/4 tank. But thats just me...20% is still enough to let junk slosh into pump. At work we go thru filters like candy...:lol:

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well yeah, when you're a cable technician, or any other tech that makes house calls for that matter, you run the tank down to nothing before fueling up to save time. I should know, I was a burglar alarm tech for a year helping secure New Orleans after Katrina :) . My gas gauge in the 'burb is very non-helpful, similar to yours. I don't think I have a fuel light, and when full, the gauge shows WAY past full, like it hits the end of the needle's possible travel. I haven't burned it down for fear of where empty really is on the gauge.

8. mikehd

mikehd New Member

The gauge on our '93 is very non-helpful as well. Full is like you describe, and the few times it got to past E it took more than the factory spec to fill it (34 gallons).

I guess for now I'll just live with the fact that the E mark on our '02 means about 100 mile reserve left when running lightly loaded and will do a fillup before we get to E.

Thanks for all the replies!

9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are you sure about that factory spec. on you fuel tank?

My 94 Burb has a 42 gallon tank.

If you don’t have an owners manual for your truck you can get a digital one here.

https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home?cmp=gmcomhp