1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jnbascom, Dec 15, 2009.

1. jnbascom

jnbascom New Member

I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy 4X4. The fuel gauge hasn't worked since I bought it. The other day I had to disconnect the battery for another issue and when i hooked it back up the gauge worked for about a minute then went right back to "E". The fuel pump was replaced in the last year so the sinding unit should be good. Any ideas?
  2. jnbascom

jnbascom New Member

BUMP..................................Any ideas?
  3. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

I have a similar issue on my 1999 Silverado. Mine worked for a while, then at about 190,000 miles it started sitting on E all the time. Shortly after, it stays pegged at Full. Occasionally it will dip down for a second, then will shoot back to the top.

Sorry...no resolution, but a free bump.
  4. TJ99Sonoma

TJ99Sonoma New Member

Sorry no help, I have the same problem. Gauge reads empty all the time, goes up to full when I reconnect the battery then drops again mines a 99 Sonoma.

Another free bump.
  5. TJ99Sonoma

TJ99Sonoma New Member

I hear alot of people say that the gauge doesn't work, must be a common problem, we already changed the sending unit/fuel pump & checked all the connections and grounds. Somebody must know what else to check. Any help would be great.
  6. whlmn

whlmn New Member

same story on the 97. trying to look for information on how to find problem.
  7. wis bang

wis bang New Member

Could still be a ground issue. I had a ford ranger w/ a flooded float, running it almost MT caused it to work for a day, or so, until the float filled again.
  8. trapperdon

trapperdon New Member

faulty relay in the computer sensor / dash circuit?
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I would shoot for the cluster if it isnt the sending unit.. But the sending units in the Chevy trucks (1500s with gas engine) were faulty due to connections that were suseptable to corrosion from gasoline..
  10. robb_03

robb_03 New Member

I have seen alot of Suburban and Tahoes with the same issue. Almost every one we had in Iraq did the same thing. The ones we could get repaired turned out to be the cluster. Sometimes if we just took the guage cluster out and then put it back in it would work fine. But other times the rest of the guages would stop working so we drove without guages...