1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuel guage problems

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by BrantleyK, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BrantleyK

BrantleyK New Member

when i fill up my 88 c1500 the guage only shows a forth of a tank.

where should i start
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Unplug the connector at the tank and turn the ignition on. The gage should go up way past "full." Then ground the gage sense wire in the harness and the gage should read "empty." IF the gage responds correctly, then you have a bad unit in the tank (Most likely, this is your problem). If the gage doesn't respond correctly, then it's either the wiring or the gage itself.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  3. BrantleyK

BrantleyK New Member

ok tried it and guage responds but would the unit in the tank not being grounded to the frame be the problem
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

The ground for the level sensor should be the same ground that the fuel pump uses. So if you have fuel flow from a running pump you should also have a good/adequate ground for the level sending unit.
  5. i would check the fuel level sensor to make sure that it is not bad. sometimes the level sensors have a tendancy to wear out on a lot of things and then you will not get an accurate reading.
  6. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

I just remembered that there was problem with the baffle inside the fuel tank coming loose on those trucks, which caused all manner of strange gage problems, from broken pickups and floats to just plain old hanging up. Take the tank off and look closely at the plastic baffle. It should not move inside the tank. It mounts on two or three studs with push nuts on them. I've fixed a ton of them, but they were a lot newer than yours at the time. You may have to find a replacement tank, especially if the baffle or the studs are broken.
    Good Luck and God Bless