1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuel leak 2007 new style Silverado??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by deepstuff, Sep 15, 2013.

1. deepstuff

deepstuff New Member

Hi,\ I have a 6.0 2007 Silverado (new body style) that has a fuel leak coming from what appears to be one of the lines on top of the tank. It only leaks when running. Whats the best way to get to these lines; drop the tank or lift the bed? Are these lines leaking a common problem?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

That bed is kinda heavy and would take 4 guys who's BAC is above .05 to lift it up.

If you drop it just make sure you are as close to empty as you can possibly be.

If you take off the bed, you wouldn't have to disconnect any lines and you can see exactly where your problem is and fix it the first time.
  3. deepstuff

deepstuff New Member

I lifted the bed, Leaking right at connection. How do I get it apart?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. rileyjr16

There is a tool to separate that. Available at most auto parts stores. Forgot the exact name but if you say the tool to separate the fuel lines from a hose the guy should point you in the right direction. It slips over the metal hose and depresses the clips in the female end. Pull female end. Hose is separated.

Are you sure that the hose is on all the way though?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would bet that the oring in there is bad
  6. rileyjr16

If you havent got it yet this is what the tool might look like. There are different sizes for the different fuel lines. I had to break this one to be able to use it as it wasn't big enough. Just slips around the male line and push it into the female side and pull off the female hose.

Attached Files:

7. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

THE LINES on top of the tank are plastic and molded into shape. this is from dropping the fuel tank and not taking care with these lines.

if the fuel leaks when running then it is the supply or return line. and if your sure its from the top of the tank then it may just be not properly seated into the pump assy connection. something could have fell between the cab/bed and smashed it.

dropping the fuel tank can be a problem. with the pickup you unbolt the bed disconnect the fill fuel assy drop the rear bumper and slide back about a foot then tilt up. this then will allow you to run vehicle and see exactly whats wrong.

I've done this before and the bed tilt works for me. many recommended this before I tried it .

I used 2X4 lumber bed is not heavy to tilt or slide back with the tail gate off.

check the rear brake line for rust replace it now if it looks bad / next to the frame rail.

if you do want to drop the tank the vehicle need be with the front end low. then all the fuel will be in the fuel fill area where you can then suck out the fuel to lighten the load.

on placing the tank back you will have to be careful not to break those lines and you will need to remove the charcoal canister etc. also wiring to pump/ground ..