fuel leak

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by tommyboy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

I just bought a 98 silverado z71, got it home and had to replace fuel lines, I pulled the tank and replaced everything but the filler hose and the tank.. Tank was in great shape. When i put the tank back in I have a leak when filling. Everything is tight and straight. Do i need a new filler hose or is there a gasket or advesive I am missing? didn't notice anything when I tore it apart.

2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

that all depends on where exactly the leak is. look around and try to describe it to us the best you can. pictures would be best

3. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

the leak is where the filler neck hose connects onto the neck (pipe) on the tank. Sorry no pictures pretty tight to get a camera in there. I ordered a new filler neck hose, just wondering if there was something I was missing

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i have never looked at the part you are talking about,so im kinda lost. when i can, i'll look at it and see what i can see

5. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

Thanks
    dont go out of your way, I always seem to figure these things out

6. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

Fixed the fuel leak, needed a new filler neck hose. GM only part

7. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Glad to hear you fixed your problem! I had a similar issue on my previous truck. Yes, it was a Ford Ranger, but I had to replace the filler hose and it was over $200!! It had to be a dealer part, specially bent for the application...lame. Hopefully yours was cheaper!

8. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

The fulel filler neck hose was $80 it listed for around $100. The local chevy dealer has been cutting me a break on a few things I have purchased there. The rear feed and rear return fuel lines were not cheap either.

Oh well thats what happens when you buy an older used one. Its running now!!!!!!! Thats what matters.

9. KirkW

KirkW Rockstar

You're lucky - the last time I smelled gasoline whenever I filled the tank, I ended up replacing it. The tank had rusted out. So long as I kept it below half a tank it wouldn't leak... :)

But I got tired of that silliness and put in a new tank (and new fuel pump and filter).