1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel line "chatter". . . .

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Jan 3, 2013.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

So after recently replacing a fuel pump, I notice a chattering noise coming from my fuel line. Very weird.
  2. redvett

redvett Member

Fuel line chatter

You must have bought a non OEM AC Delco pump with out the anti pulse module. You will need to live with it.
  3. FergusonT

Ac delco MU1613
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the fuel pump should make a whine sound. with a chattering sound this may be from the pump suction hose having a leak or the regulator is not returning excess fuel pressure back to the fuel tank / restricted /crushed return line.

I would disconnect the return line at the fuel pump hose connector using some clear tubing direct this flow into a container and observe the flow. if lots of bubbles this may mean the intake pick up tube has a leak. if no flow or not flowing smoothly then it may be the return line or regulator stuck or pulsing.

the fuel pressure gauge should be steady not jumping to much also.
  5. FergusonT

Well the pump itself sounds fine. Its just down near the frame rails.... I just haven't had my garage clear enough to pull it in and crawl underneath it.

When changing the fuel filter it was a bit tough coming off...I am thinking maybe I tweaked the fuel line in the process.