Fuel mileage improvment

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by TroyChurch, Jan 12, 2013.

1. TroyChurch

TroyChurch New Member

Yes. I know...Probably the most asked question from the newbies...LOL!! I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L 2WD Yeah. I know. 8.1L...What do you think you'll get for mileage??!! LOL!!
    • :glasses:

It still has stock everything and I'm just kinda looking at where to start in making some modifications. Engine and drivetrain are great, just have a few little issues to get through. Used to haul a lot and still take some cattle to market and an occasional 5th wheel camper trip. Any suggestions?

Troy

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Not much to work with, you need to reduce resistance. Change the engine oil and rear diff to synthetic. Change the tires to something with a harder rubber compound and increase the air pressure a few pounds over door sticker. Remove un-used weight from the bed and inside the truck.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Even with all of that done The Big Block will still get between 8-12 MPG.. The best thing to do if you are still going to be towing those big loads is Diesel.. They get a good 17-22 on Avg...

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Rule of 2 will help, never let the rpms get above 2000 when accelerating from a stop.

5. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

The fuel mileage will increase with added mileage. Use a synthetic oil in the engine and back off on the throttle. Make sure the tires are pumped up more as they will provide less rolling resistance, keep your fuel system clean , keep your air filter clean, keep all fluids routinely changed.

6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Forget the tire pressure suggestion and get a programmer. I'd rather get more mileage out of my $1000-$1500 set of tires than save $100 at the pump in a 40k mile period, but that's just me.
    Definitely be easy on the go pedal

7. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Trade it in for a diesel 4wd 2500HD or even 3500HD. It'll tow better, and you'll get better MPG.