1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Pressure Regulator bad?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Moonie, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Moonie

Moonie New Member

I have an 87 5.7 TBI GMC Burban.

I am current having a very ruff idle and cold start issue. The cold start has been going on for some time and I have done a few things already. Today the ruff idle started and it is also blowing black smoke and wants to stall. It runs when driving pretty well. However when you get to a stop sign the engine wants to shoot out of the hood. It idles very high and if I rev the engine in park the idle will go up and stay up.

Now I just did the spark plugs today. Which where bad but was not the issue. The timing has been recently set and the pcv was replaced. Also the coolent temp sensor was also replaced.

I am wondering if this could possibly be my fuel pressure regulator? up until today it never blew black smoke before. It was running 100% perfect yesterday. With just the cold start issue.

Any thoughts?
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

i say you got a vaccum leak. chech all the vac lines. you might want to spray some carb cleaner on each line and if the idle changes that is your leak. i bet you can hear a leak as large as you seem to have.....mike
  3. Moonie

Moonie New Member

Yes you can.. There is a ticking noise. That just got louder that sounds like a vac leak. I fixed a small one awhile ago but I am guessing that was not the right one.
  4. BajaMark

BajaMark New Member

You can check if the fuel pressure regulator is bad by taking off the vacuum line, If the line is wet with fuel it is bad. I had cold start problems and response problems, my regulator was bad and it starts up like new now that i replaced it