1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Scott Alexander, Aug 23, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Scott Alexander

Scott Alexander New Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado just replaced the fuel pump and is not running acts like no power to the pump? Any help would be great!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did you change the fuel filter when you changed the fuel pump??
  3. Scott Alexander

yes pump not running
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Was this a problem before you changed the fuel pump?
  5. Scott Alexander

replaced pump three months ago ran fine, went to start truck the other day and no pump, Thought the pump was bad replaced with another new one still nothing pump not running
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If I suspected the fuel pump wasn't getting power, the first thing I'd do would be to grab a wiring diagram and my voltmeter and see if I could locate where the break in the fuel pump circuit was. I'm not exactly sure where all the connectors are on your '01, but I'd probably start at the relay (should be under the hood) and make sure the relay is closing. If your '01 is like my '98, you have to drop the tank/lift the bed to get at the connector at the pump, so it is kind of a pain to check voltage at the pump.
  7. mthomas

mthomas New Member

What does pump not running meen?????
  8. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The pumps on these are electric and make enough noise to hear them run. I usually assume when someone says their fuel pump isn't running, they mean that they can't hear the pump run.
  9. kcb37

kcb37 New Member

Check the fuse and relay first.
  10. mthomas

mthomas New Member

hate to say this but been around alot of silverados.4.8 5.3 these pumps do not make very much noise.You would have a hard time hearing it buzz when you turn the key on.he also said he replaced it 3 mo.ago.didnt start so he went a bought another one.thats about 5 or 6 hundred dollars in 3 months.hope the 1st one was covered.Not to beat this to death but.truck wont start change fuel pump truck still wont startIf there is power at the pump check the fuel pressure regulator.Pull the vacuum line off if it is wet it is bad.My2c

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

how did you check the power at the pump?