fuel problems

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by boostedDC, Aug 11, 2009.

1. boostedDC

boostedDC New Member

so i have a 1996 chevy suburban with a 350 vortech... im having proboems with the fuel i seem to not have gas in my fuel injectors we replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, injector relay,and cleaned out most of the fuel lines... there is current to the injectors and we have gas all the way to the fuel pressure regulator but injectors are dry... would it be my fuel pressure regulator that is out and that be the reason i have no gas going to the fuel injectors???

2. Z07

Z07 Member

Are you 100% sure that the FPR isn't plumbed backward?

And you are sure that the tops of the injectors are dry?

Does a noid light blink with the injector pulses?

3. boostedDC

boostedDC New Member

its the original FPR. what happened is we stopped at the grocery store and no signs of problems came out and it didnt want to start at all we sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body it started then died out again.

ya the injectors and throttle body are really dry

as far as noid light i didnt get to check on the my dad had used just a regular tester to check if there was current

4. Z07

Z07 Member

The way they work is there should always be 12 DC at the injectors but the computer provides a ground to the injectors in pulses timed to the valve openings. So the easiest way to check is with a $20 noid light.

I can't imagine the failure that would suddenly cause the fuel rail to drain and not refill so that the top of the injectors, the part that seals inside the fuel rail, are dry.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

1st thing I'd probably do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the system is generating the correct pressure (~60 psi).

6. boostedDC

boostedDC New Member

i do have a noid light and will check that... its just weird and we cant figure it out we have asked around and everyone keeps giving us different opinons and all thats left is FPR which i will get a gauge and also check that

7. boostedDC

boostedDC New Member

another question i have is when you turn the key do all injectors spray gas or does only one spray enough to start the motor?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Maybe I'm learning something new here, but isn't the 96 vortec a dry throttle body? I thought there were 8 injectors hidden under the intake plenum.

9. boostedDC

boostedDC New Member

ya they are hidden

10. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

i would check to see what your fuel pressure is at less then 58 psi is bad even tho it might run ideal is 60 for 96 to 99 classic's also check and see if your can hear the pump turning on when you turn the key to run but not starting might just be your relay burnt up