Fuel Pump Access

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by pelican, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pelican

pelican New Member

I have a '99 K1500 that the fuel pump has gone out in (again). Took it to a shop last time and they charged me out the wazoo. I am a fair shadetree mechanic and know I can change it but wanted to know - is there an access panel in the rear floor or do I have to drop the tank (naturally I just filled it, 42 ga :shocked:l) . I just thought mayhaps someone would know before I started tearing out carpet.

Thanks, Pel

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

No access panel. You have to drop the tank. I did mine a month or so ago. Took about 2 hours or so. I used a motorcycle jack to lower the tank and had the truck high enough that the tank stayed on the jack as I rolled it out from under. I left it on the jack, replaced the pump and put it back in the truck without having to manually lift the tank (it had about 30 gallons in it). Good luck.

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

A friend of mine had a 90's model Chevy and had to replace the fuel pump. He had 150k miles or more on the truck, so he decided he would just cut an access panel in the bed as he figured he was going to keep the truck. Worked well for him, although I'd have to really think about it before I cut a hole in the bed. Good luck!

4. Calbaby968

Calbaby968 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you siphon most of the gas out, it won't be as heavy either.

5. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

On the pickups, there's this big access panel called the bed. It saves you from having to drain the tank, but lucky you gets to drain 42 gallons. I didn't know chevy made a tank that big.

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

get a thick piece of plywood to help distribute the weight of the gas instead of isolating it where the jack is underneath the tank and you should be just fine, mine took an hour

7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i went to walmart and got a few 5 gallon gans and filled my other cars with fuel then dropped the tank. i did a write-up on this as well. it is not too bad of a job but buy a good pump or you will be doing this again and again...i cut an access door in a bronco a while back and it did make the swap easier but this is also a place for dust or water to get in and out so i did a 3" body lift and no more issues with service, but if you get a good pump it will last.............mike