1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Pump Fuse keeps blowing

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Intarsian, Mar 5, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Intarsian

Intarsian New Member

It all started one day when I hit a pothole really hard. The fuse blew and fuel pump stopped. I changed the fuse and was good to go until recently when it started blowing again.
    Now, everytime I am under a load, like plowing through snow, the fuse will blow.
    This past weekend, my fuse blew again but this time I can't get it to stop blowing. Everytime I turn the ignition on, I blow the fuse.
    The fuse is located in the slot marked ECMI.
    How do I find out if it is the pump, the relay, or anything else?
    I am assuming there is a short somewhere. I thought maybe I pinched a wire and am arcing out somewhere.
    There is one black wire and two other wires coming off the tank where I am assuming the fuel pump is. The wire tester just barely has a dim light on one of the wires and nothing on the other. The problem is when I turn the ignition on to test the wires, I blow the fuse.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Rob in Wisconsin.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Year and engine would be useful information.

On my '98, the ECM -1 fuse feeds power to the PCM and parts of the engine management system. The PCm controls the fuel pump. If you are blowing one of the ECM fuses, the short could be in any number of places other than the fuel pump circuit.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Could be as simple as a loose or bad ground wire, I'd check those first.
  4. short and sweet
    If its blowin as soon as you turn the switch on..........( a really good thing..Its doin it!)
    Disconnect wiring at your pump. If it quits...BINGO Reconnect the wiring, and blow another one....You got ti for sure! Replace the pump.