1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel pump issues, wiring?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cj5daddy, Mar 20, 2010.

1. cj5daddy

cj5daddy New Member

I have a 1996 z-71. The problem is that it will be driving just fine and after a little while it starts bogging down because of fuel pressure. I am on my 3rd fuel pump in 3 years, this one is new, as well as the filter, and fuel pressure regulator. Now when it acts up like this, I shut the truck off, turn the key to the run/on position, smack the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet, start it and it runs fine again until the next time. I am thinkin it is the wires inside the tank. Ground is good, ignition switch is new, and relay is new. What makes me think its the wiring in the tank is because when I hit the tank itll run fine until it happens again, also ran a pressure gauge on it while it was running and when I smacked the tank the pressure jumped up to normal. I also thought I read something somewhere about the wire in the tank being a common problem. Thank you all in advance for your input.
  2. shadowt_t

shadowt_t New Member

welcome to the site .... did u clean or change the fuel injections .. or may be there is bad wiring for the fuel pump the put it in ur mind that the nagative line is the body it self i mean the fuel pump taken the nagative line from the body so check if its weak connection i hope that can help