1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Pump Live

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Yukon-tico, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Yukon-tico

Yukon-tico New Member

I have a 2001 Tahoe, 5.3Vortec. Has only 35Kmiles (was about 3 years in a Car Sale Lot), and this monthday fuel pump died.

Is this ussual?
    If not:
    What could yield to such a ridiculous lifetime?
    Best regards
    Oscar

PS:

Fuel economy in citi driving of this car?
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First welcome aboard, [​IMG]

That does sound a little soon even on these pumps. I do believe that if you put a GM replacement pump in they are guarantied for lifetime. Not sure check that out before you get it done, and I do believe the dealer has to do the install, not sure.

They do have a bad habit of going on us. GM I think didn’t put a good pump in the beginning. Sorry to hear the thing went on you so soon, but are you sure it’s gone and not just a plugged filter?

Replace the filter anyway because if it sat that long chances are it’s plugged.
    If that doesn’t work then replace the pump.
  3. GMC era

GMC era Rockstar

Yea, our trucks fuel pumps are very sensitive. If you run them low on fuel too often you will usually need a new pump prematurely. Being as it was on a car lot so long, I'm sure it had many times that it was run (test drives, etc.) that it was run with very little fuel in the tank.

But like stated above, replace the filter too. Also, there could be trash or something in the tank, or even a bad fuel line as much as that thing sat.
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with the above posts. The pump is liquid cooled so running it really low causes it to over heat/die prematurely in the long run.
  5. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

with only 35k you should and actually supposed to been offered the mgpp , major guard protection plan.
    with that your fuel pump should have been covered since it was on the lot for most of that time.
    Since the warranty expires at 35k ...guess thats a no go ..and no the fuel pump issue is not a common thing to happen usually after 100k + or so ...yah maybe and as for the miles around the city it depends on how you drive the truck..dont gun the sucker at the green light will help big time :)
  6. vaportrail

vaportrail New Member

I get about 13mpg w/ my 01 tahoe 5.3L
    3 yrs on the lot! 3yr old gas isn't so good!
    Does the truck have 135K miles? not hard to change to instrument cluster!
  7. Yukon-tico

Yukon-tico New Member

Fuel pump life

Well, I´m pretty good teached by this time. Thakns a lot.

1. The fuel in my country is one of the worst you can find in America (I bet only Cuba may have something worst)
    2. the car was used several times with quite almost empty tank
    3. I added an Injector cleaner one week before problems came. Same thing happened with my old 2 door Yukon (sold 4 months ago, picture attached) and problem was very similar: one week later fuel pump KAPPUT!
    4. I´ve being driving this car with abiut 1/4 tank in sinuous and climbing roads (you can easily find them in Costa Rica), and I´m not a slow driver.:oops:
    5. Fuel filter was changed a copule days befor pump problem, and I found that filter was partly clouged, and there was low fuel preassure in tank
    6. I changed the pump, US$400!!!:grrrrrr:

Best Regards

Attached Files:

8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would check on recalls for your Tahoe. I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 and there was a recall on the fuel pump that the dealer replaced for free (Even though my Burban was out of warranty). It could be the same with your 2001 tahoe.
  9. Duramax04

Duramax04 Rockstar

For what its worth i had a GM tech tell me about a year ago when i was changing fuel pumps in my 97 Z-71 that alot of times its the wire connections on top of the pump instead of the pump itself.He showed me on my old pump that one of the connections was loose.I stood and watched as he cut the ends off of the wires and spliced on new ones.Kinda scary but so far no more problems but i still replaced the pump cause it was still under warranty.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008