Fuel Pump Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jrozalez, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jrozalez

jrozalez New Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever removed the bed of the truck to replace the fuel pump. My 1998 Chevy K1500 4X4 has a bad fuel pump and since I have a full tank of gas I am thinking it may be easier to remove the bed and get at it through the top. Is this possible? I have 4 strong guys to help me remove the bed.

2. mach47

mach47 New Member

Hi jrozalez I just replaced the fuel pump on my 2000 chev Silverado shortbox . I lifted the box off with my overhead hoist and 4 six foot slings. There were six bolts holding the box to the frame . They came out easy. There are 2 screws and a plastic fastener that hold the filler hose in place. And the taillights unplug . I too had a full fuel tank. I did this with the help of my wife, 4 guys should have no problem lifting it off. I went with the original GM pump, was told the jobbers did not last. Only problem I had with this job was the pump was not the problem ended up a dirty MAF sensor. With an 8 dollar can of MAF sensor cleaner the truck was back in service. Good Luck

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

fuel pump replacment

I bet you were really pissed after all that work to find out it was a dirty MAF.:grrrrrr:

4. mach47

mach47 New Member

It was the 600 dollars for the pump that hurt. But live and learn