fuel pump - what to buy?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by backcountry horsewoman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman Rockstar 100 Posts

I know I've heard AC Delco is the preferred brand to use for GMC trucks, but...

when shopping for a new fuel pump/strainer/connector, I came across the Spectra Premium Fuel Pump Kit on www.rockauto.com that seemed to have everything I need (pump, sender, float, and strainer) for $82. Does anyone know if this is a decent brand? Does it have everything I need? "Includes fuel sender, electric-in-tank fuel pump, new strainer, lock ring, "O" ring, all terminals/connectors. Also includes float and reservoir where OE has it. Fuel pump included. Exact replacement for original equipment."

Here's a link to product: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1251262

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. grandparon

grandparon Member

I've never heard of a Specta before. Carter is a good aftermarket brand.

3. backcountry horsewoman

Hi grandparon, nice to meet ya neighbor. I'm in Park City. :)

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've heard of spectre. They make good air intakes but I don't know much about their fuel systems. They are not the most high quality of aftermarket parts but I haven't ever heard anyone complain about their products.

5. backcountry horsewoman

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend too much money, but I also don't want to buy total crap. The Spectra caught my eye since it seems to have all the little extra parts I have no idea I'll need until I'm right in the middle of trying to install the new set-up.

I googled Carter. If all I need is pump, harness, strainer... the Carter set up is only $48 on Amazon. Very do-able!

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

No offense grandparon but i have had nothing but trouble with carter as well as most people who have used them. Chevy trucks eat carter pumps.
    I would go with Delphi, i have and am currently running a airtex (advance auto) fuel pump module in my 2000 S-10 blazer. I would run anything other than a carter in a 1988-1994 GM since the pressure is a bit lower than required.

7. grandparon

grandparon Member

Well, thanks for the feedback there murdog on Carter, I didn't know other people had so much trouble with them.

Thanks for the welcome , Horsewoman, and enjoy that great skiing!

8. backcountry horsewoman

Ask 5 people the same question, and get 5 different answers. Is this a truck repair or horse training forum?? lol Seriously, I appreciate the different opinions. It makes me chase all the ideas down and results in my having a more well-rounded education in the end. :)

I guess I should have first asked... what exactly do I need to buy? I know I need a pump, strainer and connector. Are there any other little odds and ends pieces that I may need, like o-rings or mounting plates, or who knows what else?? Also, what are the chances that when I cut open the panel to reveal the pump assembly, I will discover my sending unit should be replaced too??

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If the lines on the sending unit are good and your gas guage works i would just buy a pump which should come with an Oring for the lock ring (which is reusable the lock ring) i would just buy the pump, and a strainer. the pump should come with an O-ring, and the new wiring harness.
    It really is a quick job the longest part will be cutting the hole..

10. backcountry horsewoman

Mike, thanks for the info. I have no idea what condition my sending unit looks like, but my gas gauge is extremely reliable. As for cutting the panel, my friend wanted me to ask if I need a nibbler or pneumatic shears for that?

If I don't need the sending unit, then there's another fuel pump kit on www.rockauto.com made by Bosch. It's $47, and it looks like the only thing missing is the strainer, which is only another $4.60. The description says it includes illustrated step by step instructions, which is a major bonus to me. Here's the link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=976865.

Any opinions on the Bosch brand?