1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuel pump - what to buy?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by backcountry horsewoman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman New Member 100 Posts

I know I've heard AC Delco is the preferred brand to use for GMC trucks, but...

when shopping for a new fuel pump/strainer/connector, I came across the Spectra Premium Fuel Pump Kit on www.rockauto.com that seemed to have everything I need (pump, sender, float, and strainer) for $82. Does anyone know if this is a decent brand? Does it have everything I need? "Includes fuel sender, electric-in-tank fuel pump, new strainer, lock ring, "O" ring, all terminals/connectors. Also includes float and reservoir where OE has it. Fuel pump included. Exact replacement for original equipment."

Here's a link to product: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1251262
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. grandparon

grandparon New Member

I've never heard of a Specta before. Carter is a good aftermarket brand.
  3. backcountry horsewoman

Hi grandparon, nice to meet ya neighbor. I'm in Park City. :)
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've heard of spectre. They make good air intakes but I don't know much about their fuel systems. They are not the most high quality of aftermarket parts but I haven't ever heard anyone complain about their products.
  5. backcountry horsewoman

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend too much money, but I also don't want to buy total crap. The Spectra caught my eye since it seems to have all the little extra parts I have no idea I'll need until I'm right in the middle of trying to install the new set-up.

I googled Carter. If all I need is pump, harness, strainer... the Carter set up is only $48 on Amazon. Very do-able!
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No offense grandparon but i have had nothing but trouble with carter as well as most people who have used them. Chevy trucks eat carter pumps.
    I would go with Delphi, i have and am currently running a airtex (advance auto) fuel pump module in my 2000 S-10 blazer. I would run anything other than a carter in a 1988-1994 GM since the pressure is a bit lower than required.
  7. grandparon

grandparon New Member

Well, thanks for the feedback there murdog on Carter, I didn't know other people had so much trouble with them.

Thanks for the welcome , Horsewoman, and enjoy that great skiing!
  8. backcountry horsewoman

Ask 5 people the same question, and get 5 different answers. Is this a truck repair or horse training forum?? lol Seriously, I appreciate the different opinions. It makes me chase all the ideas down and results in my having a more well-rounded education in the end. :)

I guess I should have first asked... what exactly do I need to buy? I know I need a pump, strainer and connector. Are there any other little odds and ends pieces that I may need, like o-rings or mounting plates, or who knows what else?? Also, what are the chances that when I cut open the panel to reveal the pump assembly, I will discover my sending unit should be replaced too??
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If the lines on the sending unit are good and your gas guage works i would just buy a pump which should come with an Oring for the lock ring (which is reusable the lock ring) i would just buy the pump, and a strainer. the pump should come with an O-ring, and the new wiring harness.
    It really is a quick job the longest part will be cutting the hole..
  10. backcountry horsewoman

Mike, thanks for the info. I have no idea what condition my sending unit looks like, but my gas gauge is extremely reliable. As for cutting the panel, my friend wanted me to ask if I need a nibbler or pneumatic shears for that?

If I don't need the sending unit, then there's another fuel pump kit on www.rockauto.com made by Bosch. It's $47, and it looks like the only thing missing is the strainer, which is only another $4.60. The description says it includes illustrated step by step instructions, which is a major bonus to me. Here's the link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=976865.

Any opinions on the Bosch brand?