Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fuel pump??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 984X4MO, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 984X4MO

984X4MO New Member

I hope my fuel pump isn't going out again. I was wondering if any of you have had a problem with your fuel pump? Last night when I got to work I shut the truck off but the fuel pump kept running. I tried several times to turn the key on and off but the fuel pump wouldn't shut off. I didn't have anything to disconnect the battery so I went ahead in to work and came out 2 hours later at my break time. I started the truck to let the battery charge back up and when I shut it off the fuel pump shut off like it should. I really hope it's not the fuel pump going out again. Any advice? Thanks.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Seems more likely to me that you have a short to power or a relay/switch that is stuck closed. I'd get a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and see what you find.

I'm guessing this is on a '98, but it might help get specific answers if we knew year/engine/model/etc.

3. 984X4MO

984X4MO New Member

It's a 98 half ton 4 wheel drive Cheyenne with the 5.7L.That's kind of what I was thinking, either a short or maybe a relay. I'll probably get out there tomorrow and start chasing wires. Thanks for the reply.

4. bknox05

bknox05 New Member

I had a 98 Z71 that gave me a hard time with the fuel pump. I changed it once when it would not start in my driveway. After changing it about 2 weeks later the same thing like the pump was dead. I dropped the tank and when it hit the ground the pump started up. This is after having it towed and then dropping a tank half full of fuel. The short occurred again like a month later and I beat on the tank and it started up. Sounds like the connections at the fuel pump cant take much abuse. If you have replaced one you know how hard they are to disconect even with the proper tools. Good Luck