1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel sending unit

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jayfire, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jayfire

jayfire New Member

What is the best way to replace the fuel sending unit on the fuel pump in the gas tank. (2000 silverado 5.3L) Drop the gas tank, or take the bed off? Thanks

I love these forums!!!
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Drop the tank.
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I second. Take as much fuel out as you can and it will make things a LOT simpler for you.
  4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

drop the tank. use a floor jack and some scrap plywood....mike
  5. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Dropped the tank, unless you want the enjoyment of removing the bed.......:rofl:

Jeff
  6. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Drop the tank unless you have a couple of big friends to pick the bed up and slide back a foot or two. Anyway you can't just replace individual parts on the fuel pump. The fuel pump and fuel gauge come as an assembly. Kind of expensive.
  7. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've actually heard that taking off the bed can be easier. I can imagine it being easier once you get the bed off, but I'm sure it's no easy task removing the bed. Might be easier if you have a couple friends to help, like k.daddy said.
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

agreed!

glad you like the forums!
  9. reDONKulus

reDONKulus New Member

get it onto a lift if you can pulliing a tank w a vehicle on jacks is a PITA.
  10. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have done it both ways and removing the bed is by far easier. Only 8 bolts hold the bed on and there are a couple of wiring connections to unplug. You (and a couple of friends) can lift the bed, move it back so the part in front of the tire rests on top of the tire and the part behind the tire sits on the bumper. You will have plenty of room to disconnect the fittings and remove the pump. You can replace just the sending unit (about $100 at the dealer), I did it recently in my dad's 05 Yukon XL.