1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel System Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AKRide907, Jan 30, 2012.

1. AKRide907

AKRide907 New Member

So last night as i was driving back home from a trip down to my family, (about 360 miles), its about -40 outside, about a hundred miles out from where my truck stopped, i started getting some jerky motions from my truck like it was mis-firing. It stopped after about 20 seconds or so, so i didnt think twice about it. I had just previously fueled up, and started my truck and got back on the road, the sudden jerks happened about 5 minutes after i left that gas station.

Now about, 5 miles outside of the town my truck stopped at, i got the same kind of jerky-ness come back, and i couldnt get my truck to shift into its final gear (its an automatic), so i had to put into the 3rd drive for the last 5 miles, and even still the jerky-ness was intermitten. When i pulled into the gas station and put my truck in park, the ticker for my idle was jumping all over the place, ranging from about 200-700 rpm. After about 30 seconds of that, my truck just died. Tried several times to get it to start, it would run for about 2-5 seconds then die again. After about an hour of that, it wouldnt start at all.

I dropped a few bottles of isoheet into it, as well as a few gallons of gas to mix it up, my tank is probably about 3/8ths full now. I originally thought the fuel line was frozen and the pump wasnt able to pull anything once the truck started. However, the mechanic who looked at it today, says its the fuel pump after he let it warm up in his garage.

Just curious if anybody has any other thoughts or ideas on what the issue might be. Also, the mechanic wants to charge $700 to replace the fuel pump. Is that a decent price? My truck is 2003 1500hd pickup.

Thanks a bunch!
  2. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Hello. You must live in fairbanks, I live in northpole where we dealt with -54!! Yesterday. Your problem sounds like a fuel pump. Turn the key to ignition and go back to where the cab meets the bed. You should hear a wine or buzz. If its silent then you lost your pump. It's a common GM problem that normally manifests itself right after a fill up and is even more common in extreme cold.
  3. AKRide907

AKRide907 New Member

Ya, i called the mechanic back who was takin a look at it since im up in fairbanks and my truck died in nenana, he was just gettin ready to pull it out of the cold into his shop, so maybe everything will thaw out overnight and be good enough to drive again. When i was tinkering with it last night myself, everytime i turned the key (not to start it), just to start the electrical in the truck, the fuel gauge would work, is that in tandem with the fuel pump or is that a completely separate part of the fuel system? I dont mind getting the fuel pump replaced i just dont want to have to sell my left arm to do it. lol. As far as i know hes the only mechanic in nenana.
  4. TXFireman87

TXFireman87 New Member

i have a 03 chevy. pump was about 200 to 300. just take the bed off set it on the back tires and remove the lines and connections and the snap ring pull ite whole shabang out and slide in the new one and wire it in took me and a buudy bout an hr and a half.
  5. olered

olered New Member

from working in a mechanic shop if he is only asking 700 to do it i would jump all over that. yeah you can replace the pump only and save like 60 bucks but then 2 weeks later or so the damn sender will go out and you wont have a gas gauge (that sucks happened to me when i did my first fuel pump) then in the end you half to pull it all back out again which is a pain. i would say just do it all and if your going to do it yourself yes pulling the bed is by far the easiest way to do it but for what he wants you would be getting a steal.
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

*ditto* if you prefer a mechanic do the work 700 aint bad. company truck lost the fuel pump when i was in north dakota in '09.. total price once all said n done $1450. (POS F250 5.4 litre BTW) lol