Fuel tank leaking...help please.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sbeduckman, Feb 2, 2010.

1. sbeduckman

sbeduckman New Member

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71 with a problem. About two years ago, an ill intentioned rock went bouncing underneath my truck on the highway and poked a small hole in my fuel tank. This hole is located on the front upwards curve of the tank...as close to the nose of the truck as it could've happened. Well, I plugged it as a temporary fix with epoxy. This "temporary" fix lasted until about a month ago. Subsequent attempts at two year temporary epoxy fixes have failed. At this point, I'm ready to just put in a new tank. I still have the original fuel pump in it, the guage fails sometimes...I have a replacement waiting to be put in.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a new tank? The only thing I can find is OEM replacement from a dealership at over $400. Junkyards? Fixing the hole that is in it another way (plastic welding)? This is a 26 gallon tank BTW. The hole, even when nothing is on it, is small, but it's not acceptable.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'd at least call the junkyard and have them price you one before you get and OEM replacement. You should be able to get you one for at least half the price of a new one. I'd put the new pump in then.

3. derekj

derekj Rockstar

I would drive until almost empty, then get out your soldering gun and rub the tip around the hole and it will melt the plastic giving you a better fix than original. I know I am going to get "flamed", but as it is not and open flame and you are essentially melting the outside it will work fine. Leave the gas cap off when doing it. Good Luck.

4. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow, sorry but I have to disagree with that last post. With the tank almost empty it becomes MORE dangerous. The tank is full of vapors. The vapors is what ignites not the gasoline. VERY DANGEROUS!!!!
    That being said I think you answered your own question. You have to drop the tank to change the pump and the sending unit for the guage anyway, call the junk yard and save a couple bucks. Since you have to drop the tank anyway it would be silly to not replace the tank. If you want to try and fix the tank you can do it when you drop it. The proper way would be to empty it and fill it with water with the hole you want to fix facing up. Then you can safely work on it using heat. If you cannot find a used tank I would fix the one you have. But DO IT SAFELY! Good Luck!

5. derekj

derekj Rockstar

This is why I said i'd be flamed. I am yet to see a fire start up due to heat rather than an open flame. I have put out cigarrettes in a cup of gasolne to prove my point. You have got to do what you are comfortable with. After wrenching for 35 years I am yet to cause a fire.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

fuel tank leaking... help please

BOOM!:eek:

7. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just because something hasnt happened yet does not mean you should do it. I am very aware of the properties of gasoline. THe "trick" you do with the cig is an example of the ignition temperature of gasoline. Suffice it to say that I have seen many many examples of gasoline ignition in the absence of direct flame. I am not trying to argue with you but to say you should do what you are comfortable doing is irresponsible to say the least. That is the number one statement used at accidents "I have done this a thousand times" Like I said I am not arguing I just want you to be safe. In my line of work I have seen horrible injuries and do not wish them upon anyone.
    Just trying to help.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

fuel tank leaking... help please

Thank you bob13.:great:

9. MrDon

MrDon New Member

Tank Patch

Gas seems to eat epoxy. After years of 4 wheeling in the Colorado Mountains I've learned the best patch for a small hole involves a self tapping screw slightly larger than the hole and a small piece of fuel line.

Slit the fule line lengthwise and flatten it out. Then use the piece of fuel line as a washer and screw the self tapping screw into the hole. I'm sure you can find a more suitable washer material, but this has always happend to me when I'm no where near a store. I always have some assorted nut, bolts and screws in my tool box, and can cut off an inch of fuel line off somewhere.

The first time I tried this is was meant to be temporary just to get me home, but it never started leaking so I didn't mess with it and it wasn't leaking several years later when I sold the Jeep.

10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm not sure what size small hole we're talking about, but....
    You could use a small rubber freeze plug to fill the hole. But you may need to enlarge the hole a bit to get it done.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Winterizing-Plug-Size/dp/B002WOPHOG"]Amazon.com: Rubber Winterizing Plug, 3/4", Plug Size 3: Home Improvement[/ame]

Not the most elegant fix, but would get the job done.

I have to make dinner now, but I'll poke around and see if I can find some sources for a fuel tank and get back to you.