1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel tank vent location

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by vncj96, Dec 19, 2010.

1. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I cant find a pic for the location that the vent line from the fuel tank attaches to the vent ont the tank. Mine came off I have tried a search on goole and on the site and just cant seem to find what I am looking for. It is 1 degree outside and dont have the time or daylight hours to figure this out. There also isnt enough space betwwen the bed and the frame rails to get a good view of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this has been deteached for a while could it give me a code for the evap system not working properly?
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Hey Jason, yes the detached hose will give you an evap failure code. Don't know which hose you have loose so I can't tell you where to plug it back in, but it has to be within the length of the hose, so it shouldn't be hard to find.
  3. vncj96

The hose is on my 99 silverado, the end of it leads to the back side of the fuel filler neck so I know its for the venting but the way this hose came off and out of all its plastic retainers is giving me problems as to easily finding what i am looking for, and I dont have a lot of time being so damned cold as my bare hands cant take much more
  4. stephan

Hey Jason, ok I think I may know which hose you're talking about. I don't know if your vent system is the same as my Silverado, but I have a vent hose that attaches to the upper, inboard side of the filler neck. I can't actually see the vent tube because it is on the inside & blocked from view, but feel along the filler tube & on the inboard side & see if you can feel the connection. It's about an inch long tube where the hose goes.
  5. vncj96

we shall see, I zip tied it up out of the way so that it wasnt dragging on the ground anymore. Until I get a day that is in the 20s and my hands can have some feeling in them.
  6. stephan

Wrap a clean rag around the end of the hose to keep any dirt out of it till you can reconnect it.
  7. vncj96

Thought about that but the hose has rust inside of it so i guess i will have to replace that anyway, when i figure out where it runs
  8. stephan

Even though it has rust in the hose, I would still wrap it to keep any mud, dirt, or water out of it untill you get it hooked back up. Mud & dirt can plug the evap system & require replacement of expensive parts, & water just plain raises h*ll with fuel sys. I would also try & cover the vent tube at the filler neck cuz any water or mud thrown up by the rear tire just goes straight into the fuel tank.
  9. vncj96

Guys, I still cannot figure out were this damn hose goes. I have googled every damn thing I can think of, some say its toward the fron of the tank, some say its toward the back of the tank, some say its on top of the tank, WHERE IS IT? This is the vent (BREATHER) hose that ends just inside of the drivers side fender at the filler neck. It is still attached to the filler neck at the point it reaches the frame rail it is loose so I have no idea what way it is supposed to go toward front or the rear, where is thevent it is supposed to be attached to?????????????
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. Philavor

Philavor New Member

its on the top of the tank towards the drivers side rear of the gas tank