1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fueling up Avalanched

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by BlackSmoke*, Oct 4, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

I just bought a 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 and went to the gas station for the first time with my Ava. I waited and waited before filling up my truck because I didn't want to mix different type's of octane gas because I have no clue what octane of gas the dealer put in it. So I waited until my gas gauge was on E and my Low Fuel light came on. I went home and did a few things "took about an hour" then went to the gas station. When I got to the station I put some GumOut fuel octane booster and Carb/Fuel Injector cleaner and put it into my gas tank before I filled up my truck. I looked how big my gas tank was and it says it is a 31 gallon gas tank but I couldn't even pump 21 gallons and my fuel gauge didn't go all the way to F it was just shy of it tho. I went to the same gas station that I always got to when I am in my town so I don't understand why it wouldn't fill it all the way up.:grrrrrr:

Gas Station Receipt.

ALLSUPS #0014
    Date 10/03/12 18:12
    GALLONS: 20.838
    PRICE/G: $3.599
    FUEL Sale: $75:00
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As far as I know all 1500 Av's have 31 Gal tanks...the 2500 have a 36 gal tank..
  3. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

If the fuel light just came on. then I think you should have at least 3 gallons left in it.. Not sure.. but 21 definitely seems off.... But then again, Chevy doesn't have a great track record with their fuel gauges.
  4. BRB46

BRB46 Member 100 Posts

Is it possible that the station has a limit on debit or credit purchases. I know not to long ago most pumps automatically stopped at $75.00. You were required to re swipe the card to pump more. Just a thought.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That could very well be it.... Good post...:great: Forgot about that..
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok, your gauge is telling you it's not full, so there must be a problem with:
    - the neck of the tank,
    - the hose at the pump.

How did you conclude the tank was full?

If the fuel was appearing to be overflowing from the neck, maybe there is a "big" dent in the bottom of the tank.
  7. Fixer

Fixer New Member

pumps in Los Angeles have been cutting off @ $100 for me..sucks. Just about full but not quite.

Keep an eye on the dollar amount. I've guilty of not filling up until the cluster tells me the range is LOW...
  8. RayVoy

Yeah, they all do that when you use a card at the pump. The pump control program passes the card account number to the issuing financial institution and requests a hold to be placed on $100. The pump will shut off at $100, filled, or not filled.

We've had this problem, in Canada, for awhile (our gas is a lot higher than in the US), if gas prices remain high, and I'm sure they will, the hold amount will probably be raised.
  9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you pumped almost 21 (according to your receipt) and have a 31 gallon tank then your about 10 short. If your card shut it off then considering you had a few gallons left then your probably closer to about 6-7 gallons short putting your gauge about where it should be. Hope thats your issue!!

I wish $3.59 was the price here!! seen $4.06 here today
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. RayVoy

After "the phantom" posted, I went back and looked at your receipt. I believe Fixer has the answer, your pump is shutting off at $75, filled, or not.