1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Full custom front gill

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by osgprometheus, Apr 13, 2012.

1. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member 100 Posts

Ok guys, I got a 93 Burb that is in need of a grill, I want to go full custom built. Something to make it stand out. Anyone built one or seen anything that looks good? I could use some ideas.
    Burb 1.jpg
    It is already bagged, so it lays low. I want to make something that will work well, but stand out at the same time.

Thanks guys.
  2. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 New Member 100 Posts

Try to find an old cat-eye grille. They looked good back in the day on clean lowriders. If I see you put on one of those Land Rover inspired grilles, I will remove it with a flamethrower.
  3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member 100 Posts

With no grill on the truck, it definitely stands out right now!!!
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

I wanted the phantom grille look on Da Bus, but couldn't afford it. $300ish. I'm now searching for a bulk of chrome refridgerator handles to fill the hole. (any appliance salvage guys here?)

In my searching, I found an S-10 owner who used 1/2" flat stock, threaded rod, and tube to make a custom "billet" grille. Search for 'S-10 home-made grille'. Looks like it was pretty cheap, and you could bend it any way you want. I've never seen a diagonal grille?!. All of this stuff was found at the home hardware center. I've also looked at some of those punched metal ceiling panels. It's different, still lets air through, and again, you can do with it what you want.

Good luck,
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have seen a few trucks in my area that used punched sheet metal. Some of them look really nice and I am sure that it was rather inexpensive to do. That being said, I have seen some that look REALLY bad. I guess it just depends on how good you are working with metal. My neighbor took his old grill to a welding shop that was looking for work. The guys took a 1/8" thick sheet of metal, cut a design in it on the plasma table, welded brackets on it, and bent it to the same shape as his original. It cost him $75 and looked awesome. (the welding guys called it a "government" job)
  6. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member 100 Posts

What is the "cat eye grill"?

Thanks for the input guys.
  7. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member 100 Posts

I was reminded of this thread today, when a '97 or so silverado pulled up next to me at a light. It had a bunch of custom stuff done, and one thing was a fully-custom grill. This thing was absolutely laughable... ugly... pitiful! I'm not saying EVERY custom job will fail, but this guy's sure did!
  8. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 New Member 100 Posts

Here is a cat eye grill. They were unique in their day and were about the only option from just a grill insert.

[​IMG]