1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Full time DRL's

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by brillo72, Nov 9, 2013.

1. brillo72

brillo72 New Member

Hi I'm Brillo. Forgive me if this has been discussed already but I am new (just signed up). I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 and I just changed the DRL's over to amber. I would now like for them to stay on full time so I can run them with my parking lights and headlights. Has anyone done this mod? I read on the Avalanche forum people saying they unplugged a green module and switched blue wires to red terminals but I'm not sure where all of this is located on the truck or if it is the same for a Silverado. I just like the look of having the DRL's on with the other lights. Does anyone have any ideas or info on how to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome To gmtc! I am sure that there is a DRL relay in the box under the hood. If there is, you can simply go buy a pack of diodes and shrink wrap from radio shack (the diodes are around $4 for a pack of 10) or you can order them online cheaper if you are patient. Then you would shrink wrap one diode leaving an inch of wire exposed on the end. Then pull your low beam relay and insert the diode into the relay trigger signal (the #85 hole, look at the lid to your fuse box for the numbers) run the other side of the diode to 85 hole of your drls, push both relays back in. Now check your work. If you put the truck in gear and the drls and the headlights come on then you have the diode backwards, pull it out, install it the other way and test it again.

I did this to my 2005, I just did it for all four headlights to stay on when I turn my brights on. If you want to do that, you have more diodes shrink wrap them and go for it. Don't worry about them running under the relays, it is fine.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

4. brillo72

brillo72 New Member

I want to thank everyone who responded. The information provided was great and I can't wait to do the mod. I bought the diodes and heat shrink tubing today. I have added a pictures of the ones I bought and want to make sure they will work. While I am pretty mechanically inclined I admit I know nothing about diodes. Would someone please let me know what you think? I plan to do the all on high mod.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Brillo

Attached Files: