Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fully boxed vs. C-channel frame of F250 and F350.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Hello all.

Ford has made such a HUGE deal about their F150s frame and how it is fully boxed and such. Why do they still use C-channel frames on the F250, F350, and F450 trucks?

GM has been using fully boxed frames on the 1500, 2500HD, and 3500HD. I would think that the fully boxed frame of a GM truck would make the vehicle a stronger truck.

You hear the Ford guys talk about frame rigidity when they blab about the F150 and then sing a different tune in that the F250 and F350 needs to have some flex so they use a C-channel.

What gives?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A friend of mine always buys Chev trucks, his brother always buys Ford.

The friend needed some crushed gravel, so both trucks went to the gravel yard. The Chev got a bed full of gravel without problems, the Ford got the same load and the frame bent just behind the box.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I can tell you my 2000 1500 silverado does not have a fully boxed frame from front to back . only in the front is this boxed . the bed portion is not. also the metal used is soft. the older vehicles had much stronger heavier frames.

A vehicle with a fully boxed frame fom end to end is / should be very strong. unless the thickness is not much.

I would say my 1996 impala has a stiffer frame from end to end than the 2000 1500 I have.

the chevy 2500 trucks are very strong frames .

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

GM did not start fully boxing the Silverado frame until 2007 with the NNBS.