Fully boxed vs. C-channel frame of F250 and F350.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Hello all.

Ford has made such a HUGE deal about their F150s frame and how it is fully boxed and such. Why do they still use C-channel frames on the F250, F350, and F450 trucks?

GM has been using fully boxed frames on the 1500, 2500HD, and 3500HD. I would think that the fully boxed frame of a GM truck would make the vehicle a stronger truck.

You hear the Ford guys talk about frame rigidity when they blab about the F150 and then sing a different tune in that the F250 and F350 needs to have some flex so they use a C-channel.

What gives?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A friend of mine always buys Chev trucks, his brother always buys Ford.

The friend needed some crushed gravel, so both trucks went to the gravel yard. The Chev got a bed full of gravel without problems, the Ford got the same load and the frame bent just behind the box.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I can tell you my 2000 1500 silverado does not have a fully boxed frame from front to back . only in the front is this boxed . the bed portion is not. also the metal used is soft. the older vehicles had much stronger heavier frames.

A vehicle with a fully boxed frame fom end to end is / should be very strong. unless the thickness is not much.

I would say my 1996 impala has a stiffer frame from end to end than the 2000 1500 I have.

the chevy 2500 trucks are very strong frames .

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

GM did not start fully boxing the Silverado frame until 2007 with the NNBS.