1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fully Custom Rear A/C System

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Crawdaddy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On the way home from work today, I got what I think is a moderatly bright idea. My rear A/C was disconnected by the previous owner due to a leaking coil in the back. Well, when he had is disconnected, the A/C company that did the job didn't seal the lines going to the rear very well from the elements. I don't know if I can trust them anymore. I also have always wanted to be able to cool the truck without the engine running for camping type scenarios. So, I came up with the idea that I'd make a custom A/C in the rear that runs off of an electric motor. I've got it all worked out in my head, the coils and compressor would sit under the floorpan in the rear with an eletric fan pulling air across the coils. The compressor would be driven by a half-horse DC motor. The inside blower would be replaced with the same OEM model (the existing one is pretty much shot). I've even gone as far as to think about when the batteries get low, I can build a circuit to tie into the remote start circuit the truck will eventually have when the voltage gets too low. At this point, I'm probably going to be running either dual or triple batteries, one isolated as a start battery, and 1 or 2 more as aux goodies batteries. My whole part that I'm not 100% on is the whole A/C clutch circuit along with how much DC motor I need to spin the compressor. I'm also going to have to put a pressure switch inline, right? I guess I really need to take an A/C 101 class to figure out the little details of this project. I just think It'd be uber-cool to have a unique a/c system that's not reliant on a gas motor to run. Thanks all!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I decided to investigate the alternative to an custom A/C, the camper rooftop A/C. It looks like they are mostly running off of 110VAC, and I don't want to run an inverter for this if possible. Inverters seem to be excessivley ineeficient and can introduce noice into an electrical system easily.

I've been thinking about the A/C clutch issue, and I think I came up with a solution. Since it's an electric motor, I can permanently engage the A/C clutch and just turn the motor on and off to cycle the compressor. From what I can tell, it looks like most thermostats are simply an adjustable thermocouple for the minimum temperature and a timer circuit to kick the compressor in and out to try to save fuel. So, if I were to build or otherwise obtain a timer circuit to start the DC motor up and stop it every period of time (still working on figuring how long that is, I think it's something like 15 seconds or so) it should reproduce the normal A/C operation. I'm still working on locating a DC motor with something like 1/4 of a horse with 1200ish RPMs. Any Ideas or input? Thanks