1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuse #13 keeps blowing (rear door speakers, cig. lighter, lumbar seat)

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by alchemist1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. alchemist1

alchemist1 Member

On my 98 Suburban LS, I keep blowing fuse #13, a 20 amp one. This is the one that supplies power to the lumbar seat, the rear door speakers (right and left rear doors - not the back speakers in near the 'barn doors'), cigarette lighter, and the power door locks. Interestingly, I can still operate the power door locks with my key FOB. What happens is that periodically, after maybe a week or so, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, the fuse just blows. I know that when fuses blow, this means that a power wire gets shorted to ground. So seeing that i rarely use lumbar, I would almost rule that out. Also, the fuse doesn't seem to blow when I operate the power door lock switch on the door itself. Could one of the rear door speaker leads be shorting against metal in the door or possibly in the wire harness between door and frame and after repeated opening and shutting, jars the power wire against a ground? I'm thinking that might be it, only since I sporadically use the rear doors? ​

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would check the wiring inside of the rubber boot, that protects the door wiring to the rest of the truck. Or the other possibility is the cigarette lighter wires might be shorting out?
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my 91 Suburban, the cig lighter outlet likes to blow the fuse it's on which controls interior lights and other things. Look around and maybe disconnect the cig lighters for a week and see if it stops blowing the fuse.