1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fuse blowing for tail and dash lights. **SOLVED

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Whits96, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Whits96

Whits96 New Member

My 96 Gmc Sierra is blowing the fuse for the parking lights. What would cause this to happen?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  2. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

recently installed a aftermarket sterio? i have had this problem before and for some reason that was the fuse that blew on 2 different vehicles that i had. sounds like you have a wire grounding somewhere it shouldnt
  3. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Peak under the hood first and make sure no wires have been burned through or cut open or anything like that. A good place to start is around your exhaust manifolds. But look all around. It might be as simple as you see it, you tape it up, replace the fuse, problem solved. Never know...
  4. gassy

gassy New Member

Got a trailer connector ? Very common area for problems, especially if one was tapped into existing wiring with scotchlocks. Check for corrosion at the plug, primarily between the tail lights and ground. On a flat four connector it will be the brown and white wires, on the OE round connector it will be a little harder to see, however look for a pile of debris inside the connector especially with winter road conditions ( salt,sand etc.)
    1 person likes this.
  5. Whits96

Whits96 New Member

Thanks a lot! It happened to be the licence plate light wire grounding out on the trailer hitch receiver. I took the bed off recently to replace the fuel pump and I guess when I put it back on the wire was rerouted and started to touch the receiver. I wrapped it up and now it seems to be working out. Thanks again.