1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuse problem, maybe

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by SOUP, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SOUP

SOUP New Member

Went to get my service engine light read and I'm not getting any power to the quick connect for the computer under the dash. Guy said it runs on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter but I couldn't find any blown fuses. Does anyone have any suggestions maybe I was looking at the wrong set of fuses, If anyone could help please do. Thanks.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ummm, what kind of a vehicle are we talking about??
  3. SOUP

SOUP New Member

My bad it's a 2002 Suburban LT
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The first thing you want to do is verify with a volt meter that there is no voltage on pin 16 of your DLC <Data Link Connector> with the key on. If you do in fact have no power there then go to the cigar fuse in the power distribution box under the hood. Check this fuse. If it's good then you have to check the orange wire at pin 16 of the DLC back to the fuse. Check for aftermarket accessories like an alarm, stereo, amp, brake controller or anything under the dash. Techs like to tap into this orange wire. Does the cig lighter work? As a last resort you can jump 12 volts to pin 16 to get a scanner to work. Also, a bad or no ground at pin 4 of the dLC will cause a scanner not to work.
  5. SOUP

SOUP New Member

the cig lighter does not work, Im going to check these things out and get back with you. Thanks for the help.
  6. SOUP

SOUP New Member

Thanks for the help, it was the fuse, I was looking for a relay to be the problem.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You're my hero Jimmie. You give alot of great Q&A advice here and it is very appreciated!