1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Future Suburban Owner

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by BustedKnuckles, Aug 24, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles New Member

Hey Everybody!
    I am taking my second stab at heavy duty GM ownership here in East Tennessee.
    I guess a little history to start off:
    About 8 years ago I had a 1989 G20 work van with who know how many miles and a beautiful rolled on paint job to match. It had the 4.3 with a three speed that I converted over to a 700r4 with a kit from bowtie overdrives. The only problems I had:
    1. The fuel pump failed 200 miles from home, but no surprise with the mileage.
    2. The fusebox caught on fire, but that was from some prior owner jack legging in a trailer adapter and it shorted to ground. I sold it at that point as the lights didnt work, and I had no more need for it anyways.

Now, myself and the significant other are in the market for a squarebody suburban(by her suggestion-pleasant surprise!) as an extra vehicle.
    We are hoping to find a two wheel drive 3/4 ton with a TBI engine. So that'll put us into the 87-91 range. we'll be using it primarily for dog hauling(we have four large dogs), tailgating, and the occasional weekend trip. So we're looking for something pretty much stock, has AC, and in decent shape.

There are plenty of pipe dreams for the future of the lucky suburban we pick out, LS1 or diesel conversion, air suspension for towing boats other project vehicles and the like, but thats a little while down the road.

I'll be doing some searches on this site to look for common problems with these models, but if they're any other good resources out there please let me know.

Excited to be in the club(soon)!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome...or, future welcome.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome!

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  8. BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles New Member

Well it looks we were really Jonesin for an older suburban, we found what we were looking for and picked it up yesterday! I added a couple photos and hopefully one of those is showing up as my profile pic. Now its time to starting fixing what isnt broke! Its in pretty good shape, the clearcoat has seen better days, and theres a little moisture around the tranny and diff, but all the fluids look good. So far the speedo doesnt bounce, all windows go up and down, and even the cruise works! Pretty excited that its the 8 wheel lug and what seems to be the 10 1/2 in rearend.
    The AC has had the dryer bottle replaced and the PO said he added some R134 annually. It had about 15 psi starting out, so we added about 40oz(including some magical oil in the can) to the system to get it up to about 45 psi as its 85 degrees here. I checked the vent temp with my digital meat thermometer, but it would only get down to about 65 degrees, better than nothing, but I like to hang meat, wherever I am. But thats all I can expect from a 20yr old system designed for r12, prob wait til springtime to get back on that aspect.

And the muffler isnt rotted or crushed, but somehow slightly folded. I'm really not into a loud exhaust, as I like to hear myself think and my passengers talk, so I'll probably get a buddy to help me weld in some factory style exhaust, but maybe go back with the 3" rather than the 2 1/2.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Congrats on the new truck... Sounds like its something fun!
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good luck with the truck, and welcome to the site.