Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Garmin GPS hiding the power cord

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Jimmeh, May 6, 2012.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So I just recently got a Garmin nuvi 50LM GPS unit and have been using it in my truck and my work truck. My biggest pet peeve is having a lot of loose stuff roaming around the interior of my truck, and this is how I had it set up in it:

[​IMG]

It was pretty annoying to say the least, so it was time to do something different. So I tore apart my dash looking for openings that I could run my charging wire through and up to my dash. I originally wanted to keep it where it was under the rear view mirror, but I just did not have a long enough cable, nor did I feel like taking the dash completely out! I then decided to move my windshield mount to the drivers side above the vent, ran the wire underneath the gauge cluster, and up behind the a-pillar. I kinda wish I would have taken some pictures of the routing but here's a couple to give you an idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a picture of the clean look:

[​IMG]

The next thing will be to get my iPod in the glove box. I have to talk to my electronics shop and see what they say about which wire to use as I have no idea. I looked at the back of the head unit hoping there was just a USB port, but of course not.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

looks clean man! i have toyed with that a few times, but i prefer to be able to put all the mess away in the center console when Im not using it. looks good tho. i will keep what you did in mind if and when i do mine.

Alex

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't splice into the cigarette lighter wires and form a Y behind the dash that offered a female socket for the Garmin's cig lighter plug. There's plenty of room for it and it would allow you to have the Garmin's cable completely hidden except for its location by the A-pillar ... and have nothing in your cig lighter (and you could still use it).

Sadly I think window suction mounts (and ipod cradles, too) say 'steal me' to would-be thieves, so I'm curious why these things are so prominently on display in your truck. Do you leave a mean dog in your truck or something?

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I read you on hiding the wires. I can't stand looking at or trying to do something with the extra wire. I know my uncle put a radar detector on his windshield and spliced it into the wires on the back of the rearview mirror. Don't know if the same could be done for a GPS, but it'd be mounted up and be partially hidden by the sunshade and even more if you have a drop of tint.

5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If my truck is out of my sight, it is usually in the lock up at work (security code to get in and out of the gate, plus it's tucked away in a mass of complex buildings) or out in front of the house which is far enough away from people who may think of my truck as a hot bed of thievery. Otherwise, I am pretty much always in the truck and if I do feel a need to go some place where I feel it may be a concern, everything gets put in the center console (window mount requires a loose pull to take off, and all I have to do is unplug the iPod) and voila. I am not too concerned about thieves though ;). And no, there isn't a mean dog in my truck unless the topper is off and he's in the bed. Even if I put my hand on the tail gate, he'll nip at it. That's his truck when he's in the bed, not anybody else unless the tailgate comes down :D

I also though about splicing in a secondary cigarette lighter behind the dash, and probably will but since I don't have such things lying around and I wasn't about to spend any money today, it's something that isn't too big of a deal to do later on. I plan on splicing in a dual plug to put in the back seat area anyway, so it will be happening soon. And as I mentioned, I plan on getting that iPod put in the glove box.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

More reasons why you should upload photos to the site and NOT link them to photobucket!!!

Garmin GPS's rock though.

7. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

everything in my truck is portable and stores in my console. out of sight, out of mind till I need it. If I were going to mouth something like those, I would mount it at dash level and splice in to something behind the dash face.

8. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Cant see your pics, but suspect that your GPS is stuck up on the window.....Sorry, but I hate crap stuck on the windows. Also hate stuff dangling from the mirror, its just me. Anyways, I have my GPS mounted under the dash, just in front of the cig lighter ports. I hide the extra cord in the ash tray. My truck is old enough that it still had ash trays. I know I have to glance down at it, but you get used to that.