1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas gauge acting erratic

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rcrq500, Dec 2, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. rcrq500

rcrq500 New Member

I have a 2001 Silverado LS and from time to time I notice the gauge reading empty and the fuel light on and then it goes back to read the actual fuel level. It tends to happen when I have less than 1/2 a tank but not completly empty.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  2. retired

retired New Member 100 Posts

Most likely the sending unit is going bad.
  3. rcrq500

rcrq500 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing but wanted different opinions.
  4. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member 100 Posts

Eliminate the obvious and most likely it is going to the sending unit. Check connections, wiring, grounds all the standard stuff. Keep an eye on it and see if it does it again...

Jeff
  5. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member 100 Posts

Typical Chevy problem. The fuel gauge sensor is all part of the fuel pump assy. You'll have to replace the whole assy, be prepared, it's expensive. Stay away from the advance auto/autozone (Aztec assy) they are junk.
  6. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You don't have to replace the whole assembly, GM sells the sending unit alone for around $100. I did it to my Dad's 05 Yukon XL this past summer. You still have to pull the pump though.
  7. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member 100 Posts

Correct! Not that bad if you have the time and tools and want to save some bucks....

Jeff
  8. rcrq500

rcrq500 New Member

Thanks everyone. Now I know where to start looking.
  9. exceler8

exceler8 New Member

You dont need to do the whole assm. But I would strongly recommend that you do the whole thing. One goes, the others are close too. Plus it is not like changing a air cleaner. It is a P.I.T.A So do it all at the same time once..... :great: