1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas gauge, heater, and wiper issues

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by magic, Dec 27, 2012.

1. magic

magic New Member

12/27/2012 2:29:38 AM
    Hello everyone i am named Magic.
    I am in Southwestern Ontario Canada.
    I have a`97 chev ck 1500 4x4, 4.3 L, 5 speed standard on floor
    There seems to be several issues that I cannot seem to find repairs for.
    The gas meter reads faulty , when it s emty it only reads half full, heater works only on high speed and bails out when I hit bump on the road, and wipers will only work on high speed but some times will work on intermittent if I mess with the switch a bit .
    I’ve replaced the sending unit in the gas can (well not I, but mechanic) and no change.
    Can any one give suggestive solution to any of these problems.
    I have lost some confidence in my mechanic as I’ve spent $ 600.00 into the gas can already
    Many thanks in advance
    Magic
    magic.angel@live.ca
  2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Welcome to GMTC, gald to have you here.:great:
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016:to the GMTC
  5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you............ :glasses: there are members on here that can help you with you issues.
  6. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like you may have an issue with something behind the dash. Maybe a computer connection? Or grounding issue behind the dash? Double check all connections to all the controls in the cab and make sure they are tight and well grounded. Someone else may have more experience than me. That's just my two cents.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If the sending unit (and I say if, your words, hehe) in the gas tank is good, the stepper motor in the gas gauge is bad.

The blower motor problem is probably the speed control resistor assembly, most of them are near the blower motor and most blower motors are accessible from under the dash, look behind the glove box.

The wiper problem sounds like a bad switch, but there could be a broken wire under the dash, at the base of the steering column.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome from New Brunswick
  9. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Check the ground strap between the sending unit and the frame, if missing or disconnected or corroded you will have problems like that.

Replace the blower resistor, easy fix, if it doesn't last you probably will have to replace the blower motor too, which is more difficult but if you're patient can do it in a couple hours

Put in a new switch
  10. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! It might help you out if you look through some of the "tech' " forums to get some ideas. Good luck!