1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Gas Gauge issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chads.silverado, Jun 28, 2013.

1. chads.silverado

chads.silverado New Member

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a question for you all. I have a 2000 Chevy SIlverado with the third door 2wheel drive. My gas gauge reads full at almost all times, it does drop to empty and light comes on. Do you have any idea what might cause this and the cheapest way to fix it myself. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Thanks Chad

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome Chad. Are you saying, that after a fill, the needle stays on full until the tank is almost empty and then it falls to empty, bring on the need gas light?

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like your fuel level meter is messed up. My 2001 Silverado had the same issue. Even after filling up, my fuel gauge on the dash would always read empty. It was doing that and then after some time, my truck started struggling to start. I replaced my fuel pump (which is inside the gas tank and it has the fuel level meter on it) and that fixed both issues.

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Chad, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:

5. 09mgray

09mgray Member 1 Year

welcome m8, you need to replace your sending unit on some models u need to actually replace ur hole fuel pump

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

****Thread Moved Here****