1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chrismx104, Jan 12, 2010.

1. chrismx104

chrismx104 New Member

I've heard of alot of older Chevys having this problem. My gas gauge is constalty changing. I noticed when I come to a stop, is when it seems to happen the most. It will shoot down to empty and then up to full. Does anybody know what this problem is?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 93 does it, especially on less that a 1/2 tank. Bad sender. It doesn't do it enough to bother me. I just keep the tank filled. I figure eventually the pump will crap out and then I can fix both problems at the same time.
  3. chrismx104

chrismx104 New Member

Yea it used to not bother me but it has gotten worse over the time. But mine is the same way, when its over a half a tank it's alot better. It's just hard for me to keep it over that lol
  4. BG1

BG1 New Member

My 1990 Chevy z71 was doing this and ended up being the sending unit, I finally got tired of it and bought a new sending unit on Ebay for under 50 dollars including shipping and that took care of the problem and its been in for a couple of years. BG1
  5. 4.8chevysilverado07

4.8chevysilverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ya its normal I had a 94 cheyenne stepside that did that its just the gas moving in the tank and the float moves from the gas shifting around its nothing to worry about
  6. prod78chevy

prod78chevy New Member

Finally, someone who has the same problem I do. Both of my GMC's had the same problem. I believe, after all my research, that the float on the fuel pump gets stuck. Both of my trucks started doing this after I installed aftermarket exhausts. Maybe it's related to that.