1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 01.1500.ls, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 01.1500.ls

01.1500.ls New Member

i have a 2001 silverado 1500 and the gas gauge dont always work when im at a dead stop it will go to e and the low fuel light will come on but when i start driving and i shift to neutral the gauge will start working again, but i dont know why its doing that..... any answers will be appreciated
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

X2 on the sending unit, could also be a gauge cluster issue.
  3. 01.1500.ls

01.1500.ls New Member

thanks alot answers are appreciated
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Since this changes with the movement of the truck it could also be as simple as a loose wire that is making & breaking contact..
  5. Looey

Looey New Member

Not to hi-jack the thread, but here goes...my '99 Yukon gas gauge looks as if it is vibrating whenever the ignition is on. Ideas?
  6. Looey

Looey New Member

When I put the cruise on it really goes for a spaz!
  7. Looey

Looey New Member

The gauge was fine until I had to have the fuel pump replaced 3 years ago. I should check the diagrams but I'm too lazy and I was hoping somebody else had the easy fix!:)
  8. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

I don't believe in coincidence. If this happend right when they replaced your f.p. then they either screwed up the sender or the wire connection right at the tank.
  9. Looey

Looey New Member

You are probably right. Even after they replaced the pump the truck wouldn't start. It turns out that over the course of the truck's life before I owned it, someone had probed the wires for the pump eventually causing them to turn green and break. I don't understand why anyone would poke a hole into a wire to check a circuit and then not seal it?