Gas is expensive!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by LowFlyer, Mar 31, 2005.

1. 95_5spd

95_5spd Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

really old thread but i just had to comment. It's amazing seeing people say that 2 bucks is expensive for gas. Who ever thought it would be twice that amount now..sadly i have never experienced the "expensive" but actually cheap gas cause i wasn't driving yet. If i saw a gas station that cheap right now i would get all the gas i could while i was there.

Here's a story..

Last year a gas station in my town made a mistake and the gas was priced at i believe only like a dollar. My dad came home in the early morning when he left for work and told me to hurry up and go fill up. I jumped out of bed, ran to my truck in my pajamas and my hair standing on top of my head and tried to get there as fast as i could. Half way there and my dad calls..he was the last vehicle that got the price before they changed it back. Man was i pissed.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow. What a difference in just under 8 years. I'll bet that between 1955 and 1963 they didn't see had prices go up like they have for us.

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I filled up yesterday for $3.11/gallon. Cheapest I have seen all year.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I filled my wife's van yesterday at $3.23. But, I had .30 off per gallon using my parents Kroger card. (they shop there but have no kroger station near them) So, I filled it up for $2.93 per gallon.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You all are lucky!! I live in CT gas is normally above 3.75 no matter what, right now its around 3.90

6. Pikey

It is crazy the price difference between states. I was on the phone with another member here and I drove passed a station and exclaimed, "Holy Crap, Gas is $4.50 now". He just started laughing and said that he was only paying around $3.70 a gallon at his location.

7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had this exact same scenario happen to me a couple months ago. Gas was in the $3.20s, got 30 cents at Kroger and paid in the $2.90s. Was pretty sweet. I get all my gas (and gorceries) at Kroger for that very reason. As for my previous post, the $3.11 was the cheapest "sticker price" I have see all year. I have filled up for much less than that but only with huge discounts.

- - - Updated - - -

This is something I never understood either. It's all the same product and comes from the same place but the price varies WILDY from station to station. I know each state has different ammounts of taxes they put on gas so prices vary from state to state but what I don't get are how two stations across the street from each other have different prices and why does the price vay from day to day? Nothing else we buy has a price that volatile - only gas.

8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

This is why I ride a motorcycle

9. Pikey

It is funny, I don't shop at Kroger. They are actually the closest store to my home. The issue is that the store remodeled last year and their prices skyrocketed. An example, I needed ground mustard. I had an old container from kroger that I bought during the remodel. The price tag said $3.99. I went to get a new one and it was $5.99. While the meijer has it for $3.99. So, I only run in there if I really need something fast. I will just continue to benefit from my parents shopping there!

10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i payed 3.27 last week and I was happy to get it.

Alex