gas milage???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ascalese, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ascalese

ascalese New Member

I have a 6.0 liter gas averaging 13 +/- on freeway and 9 or 10 in town any one know how to get better milage out of it. ( i know i know leave it in the driveway but thats not what I am looking for) I already drive like an old lady because of the price of gas.
  2. cdeluca

cdeluca New Member

gas

i need an answer to this question too, i have an 07 burban and im only gettin 11mpg the guy at the dealership says after break in, about 7k (trucks only got 4.5k on it) it will get better, i dunno about that though
  3. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member

Not really, these large vehicles love gas, especially the 6.0's. Mileage / performance does normally improve after they are broken in though. A custom tune for mileage might also help, but also might not. Depends on your vehicle, how you drive, other mods, etc.

Otherwise, just the usual things you hear about all the time, drive slower, check air pressure, ensure vehicle is well maintained, alignment, dont' carry extra weight, buy a smaller vehicle, etc. :)
  4. finalday7

finalday7 New Member

Hey I've got an 07 NBS Sierra with the 4.8 and I avg 11.8 MPG city with 32" tires. I installed a Hypertech Max energy programmer and gained 3mpg. So that about a 25% increase.
  5. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member

Nice, guess those Hypertech ad's I keep seeing about MPG increases are actually true.

Did you drive any differently with Hypertech vs. stock? And how do you normally drive?
  6. finalday7

finalday7 New Member

I've driven exactly the same way since the programmer. This was really important for me to do because I wanted to get as close as possible driving conditions to get the most accurate read out. I sit in traffic alot and don't get to do much highway driving at all. I guess I'm pretty heavy on the gas. Most times from a start i'm hitting 1900-2500 rpm in first and second. I'm hoping this will go down with the new gears :great:. Right now I'm running my tank to empty because my next fill up will be with 93 to test the performance tune.
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

haha I get 11 driving "heavy on the gas" and 13-15 driving granny style. I have 410's though.
  8. PontiAddict

PontiAddict New Member

I get 16 avg, according to the DIC. Around 14 city, 24 @ 65 mph, 20 @ 70, 18 @ 75.
  9. cdeluca

cdeluca New Member

gas

actually the new wheels are 8 lbs lighter than the stock 20" that was on it, and they are the same hight so as far as unsprung weight and rotating mass goes i should be better than stock, other than wind resistance because of the width of the new tires. ill keep you guys posted after the pro chargeris on cause then my mpg is out the window, ill be burnin the tires off the rims at every light!!!
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

Where do you do most of your driving?
    What gears are in the axles now?

Depending on what gears you now have :
    If most of your driving is done on the highway you could go to a lower numerical gear and improve mileage.
    If in town a higher numerical gear.

From experience with the 6ltr engine it loves fuel. I know some that have been able to squeeze out 2-3 mpg better by using tuners, new exhaust, better air filters, new gear ratios, and a soft right foot. The expense of these additions is high and take a long time to recoupe on fuel mileage.
    Unfortunately at this time there's no one that has figured a guaranteed method to improve MPG and retain performance with this particular engine.