Gas Mileage improvements

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by KennyG101, Aug 15, 2005.

1. KennyG101

KennyG101 New Member

Hi, I'm a new member with a 98 Suburban with 151715 miles. I am looking for a way to improve my gas mileage. Thanks KennyG

2. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

What type of setup do you have, engine, tranny, etc. 1/2 or 3/4 ton? Also, what do you do with it?

3. KennyG101

KennyG101 New Member

I have a 5.7 V-8, auto, 1500. It has been our family vehicle, but now I use it for my work truck. I am a plumbing contractor

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What type of mileage are you currently getting? You say that you've got 150k on in, any work done to it? Noticing any problems with it?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

What kind of money are you looking to spend to get better mileage? Or are you looking for freebie mods?

6. ChevyFan

Yeah, stay away from the stuff that is gimmicky. In truth, the execs at GM would give away the farm if someone could improve gas mileage by 5%.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

no doubt

8. ChevyFan

Honestly, even a 1/2 MPG improvement is worth jumping up and down for.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I know I'd take any improvement I can get! :mrgreen:

10. ChevyFan

I know that some vehicles, like the Trailblazer for example, seem to have a govenor that controls gas on jackrabbit starts. My TB has 275 hp I6, but I can't catch any rubber. They must be controlling fuel electronically to keep it from getting horrible MPG ratings.